Cougar Force Sensing Stick Mod

Public discussion topics
schnidrman

Certifications

Flight Activity

Cougar Force Sensing Stick Mod

Post by schnidrman » Tue Apr 09, 2019 5:03 am

Vipergear recently released their new force sensing mod for the cougar at about half the price of the FSSB2. WTH, I decided to give it a try

While I have some settings to play around with and will need something to hold the stick down before I can dogfight, I'm really surprised at how much better I can combine both axes with good control. Much easier to control pitch up/down when turning and waaaay easier to hold steady G's.

I'm pretty sure after a couple of weeks of practicing I'll be looking like this guy...

Hurl

Certifications

Flight Activity

Re: Cougar Force Sensing Stick Mod

Post by Hurl » Tue Apr 09, 2019 2:17 pm

I saw the thread at BMS forums - awesome! Now if only one existed for the warthog all would be right in the world!

MailMan

Post by MailMan » Tue Apr 09, 2019 2:20 pm

WOW! They actually have good prices on everything. Wish this site was around when I built my pit.

MailMan

Post by MailMan » Tue Apr 09, 2019 2:34 pm

That's a great price for the ICP as long as everything including the rotaries work.

Wheelchock

Post by Wheelchock » Tue Apr 09, 2019 7:09 pm

I feel the same way about mine FSSB R3. I’m not sure about the viper gear fssb but the realsim one has lots of settings. I use 6.5lbs roll sensibility and 10.75 lbs for pitch. The heavier pitch sensibility helps with me over steering with my heavy hand approach and eliminate the Porpoise effect at the tanker. I don’t think I could go back to gimbaled stick.
schnidrman wrote:
Tue Apr 09, 2019 5:03 am
Vipergear recently released their new force sensing mod for the cougar at about half the price of the FSSB2. WTH, I decided to give it a try

While I have some settings to play around with and will need something to hold the stick down before I can dogfight, I'm really surprised at how much better I can combine both axes with good control. Much easier to control pitch up/down when turning and waaaay easier to hold steady G's.

I'm pretty sure after a couple of weeks of practicing I'll be looking like this guy...

Ram

Post by Ram » Tue Apr 16, 2019 1:29 am

Just got this recently myself and it's been excellent so far at replacing my old sloppy won pots and broken gimble...I was able to breath new life into my beloved Cougar from my cheap x65.

Hagerd

Flight Activity

Post by Hagerd » Tue Apr 16, 2019 2:21 am

I just bought a cougar, is there any play in the joystick at all with the force sensing? I think they added a slight play in the real jet after pilots complained

schnidrman

Certifications

Flight Activity

Post by schnidrman » Tue Apr 16, 2019 2:44 am

No play in this stick mod. In fact, he includes a shim to take out any stick play you may have due to worn stick.

That being said, there is an art to the setup and I messed with it for three days and went back to my old stick so I could fly Fri., Sat., and Sun. this past weekend.

It definitely has it's upside, but due to my current schedule and desire to fly more than mess with hardware, I'm putting this on the back burner for a couple of weeks. My biggest issue ATM is the Y axis is very noticeably easier to add forward input than it is to add aft input. X axis is fine. May have broken something because it started popping when applying pressure in the Y axis. Haven't taken it apart yet and will probably get in touch with the supplier if that is the case.

At any rate, I haven't gotten to the bottom of anything yet, so I can't realley give a yeah or nay on it right now, but my gut tells me I should have just ponied up for the FSSB2 or bought a warthog.

I'll let you know what I figure out.

Ram

Post by Ram » Tue Apr 16, 2019 3:43 pm

schnidrman wrote:
Tue Apr 16, 2019 2:44 am
My biggest issue ATM is the Y axis is very noticeably easier to add forward input than it is to add aft input. X axis is fine.
Now thats interesting as I am seeing the exact same thing...variation though is Y forward does not respond well.

Ram

Post by Ram » Tue Apr 16, 2019 7:26 pm

Ram wrote:
Tue Apr 16, 2019 3:43 pm
schnidrman wrote:
Tue Apr 16, 2019 2:44 am
My biggest issue ATM is the Y axis is very noticeably easier to add forward input than it is to add aft input. X axis is fine.
Now thats interesting as I am seeing the exact same thing...variation though is Y forward does not respond well.
UPDATE: doing a manual calibration resolved the issue.

Also see discussion here...

https://www.benchmarksims.org/forum/sho ... VFS/page14

schnidrman

Certifications

Flight Activity

Post by schnidrman » Wed Apr 17, 2019 3:02 am

Glad you're getting good results. Pretty busy ATM and I always/only do manual calibrations, so that's not the issue for me I'm afraid. I have an idea where to look to solve the problem, but not going to be able to devote the time for it for another week or two. Good news is I don't have any issues (including center play) with the other stick, so not a top priority for me as long as I can still fly.