BVR Tactics Training

Wing flight planning and after action reports. Planning for other community flights too.
Derk
176th C/O

Flight Activity

Certifications

Mission Participation

BVR Tactics Training

Post by Derk » Wed Aug 04, 2021 3:56 am

Nice turn-out for training tonight with 7 pilots filling the 8 seats available. Overall the main objectives of element support, inter-flight support, communications, and formations looked pretty solid. All contacts were engaged and shot down, with no losses to hostile air, so our BVR work went well too. We briefed some good points on the use of TWS vs RWS. RWS is less task saturating and allow the pilot to focus on one contact for a good solid shot, whereas TWS allows multiple contact shots very quickly, but comes with a busier task load.

Learning to sort all the info quickly and accurately in split seconds to validate a good bugged target and verifying range is critical, especially if you have evading wingmen between you and the target. TGP may not see the hostile at 25 nm, but if will show if you accidentally locked up a friendly F-16 just off your nose, so use that tool too if you have it. It is risky shooting over the top of friendlies since the AIM-120 goes Maddog if it's originally intended target gets splashed. But often this shot is needed, so element separation and good targeting is what BVR Tactics training is all about.

Stream was posted on Twitch, though not much action from my seat...but the comms all sound pretty good and the sky's are pretty!

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/1107438063
1a.JPG
1a.JPG (171.52 KiB) Viewed 2306 times
1b.JPG
1b.JPG (212.32 KiB) Viewed 2306 times

Nick

Flight Activity

Certifications

BVR Training Survey

Post by Nick » Sat Dec 04, 2021 10:52 pm

Hey guys,

It is come to my attention that the enemy pilots have learned a lot lately and that there could be interest in an enhanced BVR training.

BVR Combat takes place in a very dynamic environment and is nothing you can learn or even master within only a few hours or during a standard mission. In preparation for the Official Falcon 4 European Championship (2003-2011), we flew 3-5 missions a week over half a year. Would like to put this experience and a lot of (RL) material into a series of workshops.

Those would contain among other things:
- Basic Details
- Radar Mechanism
- BVR Gameplan and Briefing
- Situation Awareness
- Rules of Engagement
- Target Selection and Sorting
- Weapons Employment
- Communication
- Offensive/Defensive and BVR to WVR Tactics
- Threat Tactics
- Energy Management
- Training Missions
- Tacview Online Debriefing
- Lessons Learned
- Falcon BMS Background

There will be at least 10 Workshops with sequential modules over a period of 3 months. This would mean, for example, during January-March and every Friday from 2300-0100 GMT.

Would like to teach 3-4 pilots who after that could act as BVR IPs for others. An additional outcome could be, that this training squad writes some kind of extra BVR SOP based on the experiences during the exercise.

Before putting too much effort into the planning and preparation, it would be interesting if we can find enough pilots who have the time and perseverance to go through such a training?

;)

Cheers,
Nick

Derk
176th C/O

Flight Activity

Certifications

Mission Participation

Re: BVR Tactics Training

Post by Derk » Sun Dec 05, 2021 1:48 am

I'll look forward to working with you in developing a training that meshed well with my existing BVR Tactics Training I routinely run.

http://www.440thvfw.com/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=952

I wouldn't be able to dedicate 3 - 5 days a week, nor prefer the ATO Friday night slot only be dedicate to trainings for months at a time as we often run campaign or combat TE's that night which has a good showing for most Wing members.

Once you develop a training curriculum, please send to Zeus and I for review and feedback so we can develop it into an approved Advance Training Flight (ATO) (per this post).

http://www.440thvfw.com/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=735