DEAD/SEAD PRACTICE

Wing flight planning and after action reports. Planning for other community flights too.
Birddog

Flight Activity

Certifications

DEAD/SEAD PRACTICE

Post by Birddog » Sun May 15, 2022 6:15 pm

With the success of the first mission in my Double Dragon Campaign, I have set up a practice flight in the ATO for some DEAD/SEAD practice for next Thursday. There is a multitude of state of the art SAM systems in this campaign that are very mean and very hard to beat with the new systems. The main systems I would like to work on is the SA-11 and SA-17 systems.

Here are a few things I know about them:
1 - They both have the ability to shoot down and inbound HARM
2 - They are completely mobile and can move at any time
3 - There are 6 vehicles in each battalion that need to be destroyed in order to neutralize them.
4 - Their range exceeds the reach of an AGM-65 so they are not an option unless we have growler coverage.

I have a few ideas of how to deal with them but I am also open to any suggestions. Weapons loadouts are at the discretion of the flight leads.

I think it would be a good testing flight and a great way to figure out the best strategy.

I hope to see everyone there

Birddog

Flight Activity

Certifications

Re: DEAD/SEAD PRACTICE

Post by Birddog » Fri May 20, 2022 4:37 am

DEBRIEF

Thank you to all who showed up on a weeknight to test some thoughts and tactics to deal with SA-11 and SA-17s

Bulldog 3was tasked with the destruction of an SA-11 battalion on the coast.

Our tactic was the lead aircraft would be loaded up with HARMS and the supporting aircraft would be loaded with standoff weapons to destroy the SAMS. We employed a hunter/killer tactic that worked like a charm.

Bulldog 3-1 pressed into the SAMs coverage area, located the targets, passed markpoints, kept the SAMs looking (so they would not move) and the supporting aircraft came in and cleaned house.

What did we learn?

AGM 154's work very well and aircraft are able to employ weapons and stay at a safe distance as long as you can see the target in the TGP.

GBU 39-s work equally as well but require multiple passes to destroy the entire unit.

And lastly the SAM's are nasty! Proper use of the RWR is a necessity to get launch warnings.

Once again thank you all for participating and look for an ATO posting for the next DD mission.

Bulldog 3-3 in perfect route formation on the egress

Zeus
222nd C/O

Flight Activity

Certifications

Mission Participation

Post by Zeus » Sun May 22, 2022 10:08 pm

Definitely a fun flight with lots of lessons to learn. I would add that, with proper mark point data, a single GBU-39 pass could take out a unit. The keys to both the AGM-154 and GBU-39 strikes are 1) getting the vehicles to stop (H/K tactics work here) and 2) being able to ID targets in TGP for mark point designation and passing to others. Wild Weasel in 4.36 will definitely be a team exercise.
Win 11 Pro 64 bit | i9-12900 @ 5.6GHz | Noctua CPU cooler |Trident Z Series 32 GB 5600 DDR5 ram |
NVidia 1080 gtx| 1x49" Curved plus 1x22" for gauge extractions | Cougar w/ FSSB| Cougar MFDs | Saitek rudders | Home Cockpit

Birddog

Flight Activity

Certifications

Post by Birddog » Mon May 23, 2022 2:03 pm

I have attached the TE to this post for anyone to download and practice.
Attachments
SA-11 SA-17 TE.zip
(11.65 KiB) Downloaded 44 times