Operation Clarification

Wing flight planning and after action reports. Planning for other community flights too.
Nick

Flight Activity

Certifications

Operation Clarification

Post by Nick » Tue Dec 14, 2021 1:14 pm

Hey guys,

Have a question, because I think there is a misunderstanding / no proper translation on my end. How can I distinguish what is meant as a single mission, a series of Tactical Engagements or a Campaign? I thought an 'Operation' is always more than one mission? I am currently also planning a series of missions, but don't like to put another one on the table, if we already have a few 'Operations' running. The reason for that is, as a pilot of the wing, I don't like to switch again and again between the different storylines and theaters.

Thanks and Greetings,
Nick

Zeus
222nd C/O

Flight Activity

Certifications

Mission Participation

Re: Operation Clarification

Post by Zeus » Wed Dec 15, 2021 12:41 am

Great questions and one I don't think we have really discussed or given much thought to but maybe we should. Personally, I know I use the term "operation" very loosely and base my decision on how it sounds more than anything.

Historically, we have used the BMS campaign names (or some derivative of them - ex: Bear Trap: The Ground War) for anything truly running as a campaign. We typically don't see that many multi-mission TEs...they sometimes start off with the promise of a multi mission story line but rarely do they pan out.

I open to ideas on how to categorize them.
Win 11 Pro 64 bit | i9-12900 @ 5.6GHz | Noctua CPU cooler |Trident Z Series 32 GB 5600 DDR5 ram |
NVidia 1080 gtx| 1x49" Curved plus 1x22" for gauge extractions | Cougar w/ FSSB| Cougar MFDs | Saitek rudders | Home Cockpit

Blade

Flight Activity

Certifications

Mission Participation

Post by Blade » Wed Dec 15, 2021 4:25 am

Do not recall ever looking at the meaning of "Operation". I have always looked at it as a goal. It could be minor or major, it could take multiple missions or a single mission, hours or months. For BMS it could be a single TE, a group of TE(Story), or even a whole campaign as long as it's a goal. If using an Operation name for the campaign, you would also have smaller Operations to achieve the main Operations goal.

Archer

Flight Activity

Certifications

Post by Archer » Wed Dec 15, 2021 12:28 pm

For a second I thought "Clarification" was the name of the operation lol, was looking forward to it :P

I've been naming my ITO 1980s single TE's as Operation(s), but I agree with what others' said that "operation" may mean both a series of sorties or a single sortie that manages to achieve an objective - a bit like Operation Desert Storm (various flights) or the active part of Operation Nepture Spear (a single sortie for each helicopter involved).

But for clarification, regarding my Operation <name> posts, they are all single TEs, so we aren't yet commited to any small campaign / series of TEs in ITO.

Ghastly

Flight Activity

Certifications

Mission Participation

Post by Ghastly » Wed Dec 15, 2021 11:56 pm

Fantastic discussion! Militarily, a named operation simply means an objective is defined and you're doing what's needed in order to resolve a situation to that objective. It can be a single mission or a series. The scope and longevity of the operation always depends on how complex the means to a resolution is. You could have a simple time based op that simply requires you to be somewhere just as a show of force, or a super complex op, requiring multiple small steps (which can be named ops themselves) to advance towards a larger goal.

Zeus
222nd C/O

Flight Activity

Certifications

Mission Participation

Post by Zeus » Thu Dec 16, 2021 1:27 am

Ghastly wrote:
Wed Dec 15, 2021 11:56 pm
Fantastic discussion! Militarily, a named operation simply means an objective is defined and you're doing what's needed in order to resolve a situation to that objective. It can be a single mission or a series. The scope and longevity of the operation always depends on how complex the means to a resolution is. You could have a simple time based op that simply requires you to be somewhere just as a show of force, or a super complex op, requiring multiple small steps (which can be named ops themselves) to advance towards a larger goal.
I am in full alignment and agreement with this definition and as others have said I think it is used to define a goal (or "code word" for a goal).

And yes, initially I suffered the same mistake as Archer and was excited to see what I thought was Nick posting a new mission. :)
Win 11 Pro 64 bit | i9-12900 @ 5.6GHz | Noctua CPU cooler |Trident Z Series 32 GB 5600 DDR5 ram |
NVidia 1080 gtx| 1x49" Curved plus 1x22" for gauge extractions | Cougar w/ FSSB| Cougar MFDs | Saitek rudders | Home Cockpit

Nick

Flight Activity

Certifications

Post by Nick » Thu Dec 16, 2021 9:27 am

Great! Thanks to everyone for the interesting and detailed explanations. You never stop learning something new.

Does it make sense if we would mark an Operation that contains multiple missions with something like '(ongoing)' or '(finished)' behind the thread title to show which is currently active?

This thread can be moved to the archives or somewhere else, because, no, this is not a new Ooeration. ;)

Cheers,
Nick

Archer

Flight Activity

Certifications

Post by Archer » Thu Dec 16, 2021 12:56 pm

Nick wrote:
Thu Dec 16, 2021 9:27 am
Does it make sense if we would mark an Operation that contains multiple missions with something like '(ongoing)' or '(finished)' behind the thread title to show which is currently active?
Good idea! We could therefore infer that if an "Operation" post has no [Ongoing] or [Finished] before it is a single TE (we could also use [TE] or something like, for less confusion).
We'd have to see what Zeus and Derk think, but this is a +1 for us to add to our SOP and forum's organization.

Derk
176th C/O

Flight Activity

Certifications

Mission Participation

Post by Derk » Thu Dec 16, 2021 3:10 pm

Don't believe an SOP is needed since there are many variations to an "Operation" for our purposes as explained well here. Just a line of text to explain it in the mission posts (ATO or Forums) should suffice. Bull is doing this with his four part TE series.

As far as running a series of missions around other active campaigns or missions, there should be plenty of ATO slots to accommodate everything going on. I would just like to keep the Rolling Fire campaign going regularly since we are on mission #40. Would be nice to Win it after all the work put into it. These missions typically fly on Friday (Sat 0200Z) and Sunday (1900Z). So as long as we can work in one a week or so, or even on a week night, by all means fill up the ATO with multi-mission Operations!