CT - MK-82

Wing flight planning and after action reports. Planning for other community flights too.
Nick

Flight Activity

Certifications

CT - MK-82

Post by Nick » Sun Nov 28, 2021 12:28 pm

CT - MK-82
2021-12-05 19:00 GMT

Here's a nice little training sortie for 4 members of the 440th Virtual Fighter Wing.

Description:
This morning enemy ground forces left Nampyeong towards the city of Chonju. Intel from SENTRY1 an E-8C JSTAR orbiting west of 'Killbox Alpha' reports two batallions of 24x main battle tanks type T-55 and 14x armoured personnel carriers type BTR-60 are moving northbound on Highway 749.

SATAN1 and JACKAL2 two 2-ships of F-16CM-50 from the 440th VFW are tasked to takeoff immediately and stop the enemy ground units before they can capture Chonju. Therefore each jet is equipped with 12x MK-82, 1x AIM-9M, 1x AN/ASQ-T50(v)1, 1x AN/AAQ-33 SNIPER pod and 1x Tank 300gal.

If the enemy batallions are not fully wiped out before crossing Jangseung Bridge, SATAN1 is also tasked to destroy it. They have to pay attention, because the bridge is covered by a AAA site on the mountain to the Northwest and another one to the Southeast near the river bank.

Special Instructions:

PPT58 - Start ACMI recording at this point the latest
PPT59 - Holding Point for SATAN1
PPT60 - Holding Point for JACKAL2
PPT61 - Point WEST (Enter and Leave 'Killbox Alpha' here)
PPT62 - Point EAST (Reference point to attack from different direction)

Objectives:
- Having fun
- Training of MK-82 attack runs on moving and stationary targets
- Decision making during a mission
- Coordination between flight leads
- Getting Nick rid of the LOA status

ATO
INI

;)

Cheers,
Nick

Buttons

Flight Activity

Re: CT - MK-82

Post by Buttons » Tue Nov 30, 2021 3:25 pm

Random thoughts before I forget:

1) targeting APCs first kills infantry and man pads allowing for safer lower level and more accurate drops

2) targeting firs and last in column formations is traditional, unsure if it’s relevant in the BMS engine though.

3) Attacking into the wind has resulted in misses, with the wind and cross wind drops have not been shown to be affected.

4) 4x12 =48 bombs, we have 38 targets. Don’t miss and if you do, kill multiple targets with the next bomb.

5) moving targets with iron bombs…we’ve tried the ellipse on the TGP for help aiming in CCRP, maybe Dive profiles and CCIP are preferred if weather permits.

6) target deconfliction between flights is key, sort by target maybe (tanks for one flight, APCs for the other) sort by column position forward/aft or NW/SE.
Win 7 Pro 64 bit | i7-960 @ 3.20 | 16 GB 1066 mhz DDR3 ram |NVidia 1060 gtx | VKB Gunfighter 3/MCG Pro |X56 Throttle | Cougar MFDs over top Raspberry PI 640x480 LCD's

Derk
176th C/O

Flight Activity

Certifications

Mission Participation

Post by Derk » Tue Nov 30, 2021 3:59 pm

Looks like a fun little missions. Good planning thoughts from Buttons.

Seems we typically can make 6 to 8 passes with that fuel load. So with 12 bombs, I'm assuming release of multiple bombs at a time will be required prior to Bingo. Unless a refuel plan allows time to complete the task.

Mention of AAA near the bridge may limit low altitude delivery, not to mention MANPADS. Can destruction of the APC's ensure those are eliminated? Only takes one! :shock:
I've always believed MANPADs can be around tanks.

Wind direction definitely a factor now as found in our testing and will add a challenge. Area may allow various angles since it's a smallish kill box.

This flight is on our time block for our weekly Wing flight. (normally 8 to 12 seat flights.) If the flights fill up, is there an option for more seats? If not, might be a good day to schedule an additional training flight on another topic if there interest.

Nick

Flight Activity

Certifications

Post by Nick » Tue Nov 30, 2021 5:04 pm

Hey Buttons,
Hey Derk,

Thanks for your feedback! Like to answer your questions:

1) The targets are plain MBTs and APCs - no MANPADs or other surface to air threats - despite from those at the AAA sites.

2) We saw enemy ground units using different tactics when beeing attacked. Some will stop moving while others spread out to give only single targets to the force from above. Those two batalltions will try to move in different formations to give us a hard day sorting the targets.

3) Winds have an affect on the accuracy of the dump bombs, and the weather fay predicts those will come from 220° at 13 kn. This is why our attack heading calculation has to be based on moving direction of the target and wind heading. My teacher of mathematics would say: "Simple rule of three!".

4) Yes, we have to be very precise to destroy all units. One or another dry run is possible, but we also need to take our amount of fuel into account. There's no tanker available for us. Like Derk wrote, we need to release more than one bomb at a time. CCRP could be in this case to inefficent.

5) This is why CCIP is my favorite release type in this case. It's a bit like clay pigeon shooting.

6) Yes, sorting is the key. Both batallions include T-55s and BTR-60s. This is why I would prefer a sort by column position and line formation.

7) One mission objective that was not mentioned yet - thanks Derk - is to stay within the killbox all the time. There's still enough room to manouvre though.

8) Thought about the "weekly Wing flight", but didn't see at the ATO a lot of Sunday flights during the last couple of weeks. If this is a problem I will remove the Training immediately. On the other hand, I can easily add another 2 or 4-ship to the mission. Will do this asap - check ATO later on.

EDIT
Knight-3 - 2-ship AI added to the ATO as well as an additional batallion out of 6x T-55 and 10x BTR-60.
Mongo-4 - 2-ship DEAD added to the ATO, responsible to attack the AAA sites while other flights are already heads down.

Everything to be discussed here in advance or during our mission briefing.

Looking forward to fly with you again! ;)

Cheers,
Nick
Last edited by Nick on Fri Dec 03, 2021 4:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PopTops

Flight Activity

Certifications

Post by PopTops » Fri Dec 03, 2021 2:09 pm

No extra spot available?

Nick

Flight Activity

Certifications

Post by Nick » Fri Dec 03, 2021 4:24 pm

PopTops wrote:
Fri Dec 03, 2021 2:09 pm
No extra spot available?
It started with a small training mission. Now half the wing is already on it. That's very nice, of course. But can you still remember the first ride with your friends when you had just received your driving licence?

Flight added - see above
Poptops assigned as Mongo4-1

;)

Nick

Flight Activity

Certifications

Post by Nick » Sat Dec 04, 2021 9:30 am

Hi Derk,

Thank you very much for your kind private message. Much appreciated!

I put it here at the Forum to make it transparent to the others, so that we together can decide how to handle the flight on Sunday.

;)
Derk wrote:
Sat Dec 04, 2021 12:50 am
Hi Nick,
I saw your last post on the Mk-82 CT and wanted to make sure you know I'm always open to frag a simple training flight for refresher training. I think this flight is building interest fast since it's a weekend flight on our usually Wing mission time. Not a problem since the slot was open, but lately (for many months), we've had limited help with creating missions and posting them on the ATO ahead of time to reserve the spot. But, we have still been regularly flying missions on the Sunday time slot even if they aren't on the ATO. Last week nothing was flown since it was a holiday weekend here in the US.

Thanks for opening seats in the flight. I'm available to host up to 12 clients if you like. If more guys want to fly than you feel can be accommodated in your training flight, then someone can host that training for you so you can fly it with limited numbers, and I can take others in another fragged flight that I can host. There's always something to do, like figuring out tactics to be able to kill these MiG-29's in Update 3 since they are eluding about 80% of our well place, close-in, missile shots. Probably is more realistic now, but have been struggling as a group as many of us don't have time to train or make mission flights routinely. So, we have our work cut out for us there, and I plan to run BVR training flights as much as I can. So let me know if you'd like to take this option to limit your numbers in your Mk-82 training flight.

Derk
First of all I must admit, that I have a certain kind of humor (sometimes). Even my German fellows don't get it. :geek: :lol:

This is why the 'driving licence' thing was not that serious. Thank you Derk, that you took it that way. This shows how concerned you are and that you want everyone in the Wing to be happy.

No worries, mate, I did a lot of 4.35U3 flights during the Buchenau LAN and feel quite comfortable to even lead a flight. Still don't know in all details what has changed during the past 6 months regarding SOP, etc. - this is why I created this 'refresher' training.

Like I said, if there's another procedure how to eliminate someone's LOA status, please, please let me know. We can still switch and decide to fly a Rolling Fire Campaign Mission for example. That's really no problem for me.

If we still want to fly this MK-82 mission on Sunday, there are 2 options in my opinion:

1) We fly it together. In this case 8 people is really the maximum for this scenario.

2) We devide in two groups with e.g. 6 pilots each, fly parallel and share results and lessons learned afterwards.

Makes sense?

Your offer to do the host is very much appreciated. Most of the pilots will be from the U.S. and it makes very much sense to have a host on that end. Thank you! Already added a Tanker flight T/O 1 minute prior the first human flight.

Cheers,
Nick

p.s.: The AI reacts more 'realistic' with 4.35 in terms of active radar missile evasion. Better than before, they turn defensive (like we do) as soon as an active M appears on their RWR. They also become better how to defeat incoming missiles, but also lost their magic 360° view. This means they can't recognice a Sidewinder that got released from their six o' clock for example.

Derk
176th C/O

Flight Activity

Certifications

Mission Participation

Post by Derk » Sat Dec 04, 2021 3:12 pm

Nick wrote:
Sat Dec 04, 2021 9:30 am
...if there's another procedure how to eliminate someone's LOA status, please, please let me know.
Not specifically for all LOA's, but for those inactive over 90 days, SOP 1.4.1 covers what to do to be removed from the Inactive list. You're not too far past that, and with the understanding of your years of experience and activity in the pit outside our Wing flights, I'm sure you'll be fine for this short training flight. But, over time, things like SOP's can slip from recollection, which is why the refresher flight is requested with an IP.
Nick wrote:
Sat Dec 04, 2021 9:30 am
We can still switch and decide to fly a Rolling Fire Campaign Mission for example.
Now that the ATO is full, and expectations for a fun flight high for eight of us, it would be best to continue as planned.