graphics shimmering

Public discussion topics
Moosedog

Flight Activity

graphics shimmering

Post by Moosedog » Tue Oct 30, 2018 3:59 pm

Hello all, Moosedog here starting out with the wing, finished IQT-1 yesterday with Zeus.
Having bad shimmering effect and thickened boarders. Dont have this issue with 4.32.
Tried many changes with graphic card and settings with NVIDIA GTX 770. resolutions match with monitor and and BMS. Messed with ansiotropic filtering etc.

Here is the catcher : Graphics worked excellent in training flight (multiplayer), BUT still crappy in single player !
That seems weird and probably the issue.
Any thoughts.
Moosedog

Moosedog

Flight Activity

Re: graphics shimmering

Post by Moosedog » Tue Oct 30, 2018 4:04 pm

Good news is, it will be fine flying with the wing. But practicing on my own, its rough. Point to note: when I zoom in on things via mouse scroll or head tracker, it improves greatly and all becomes crisp and clear, but obviously cant fly with face buried into cockpit with MFD's as my only field of view.

Nick

Flight Activity

Post by Nick » Tue Oct 30, 2018 7:17 pm

Can you please provide pictures, your graphic settings, example files (e.g. Tactical Engagement), repro case description, Falcon BMS.cfg, etc.? ;)

Moosedog

Flight Activity

Post by Moosedog » Tue Oct 30, 2018 7:58 pm

Would it be easier for you to access my system via team viewer or something? Otherwise I will be happy to provide this to you through my limited PC knowledge. To be blunt, I’m a computer moron compared to most guys on this forum.
Are you able to be on TS later on? Maybe we can speak and navigate together? I will be on TS around 6 pm est and again at 7pm est

Nick

Flight Activity

Post by Nick » Tue Oct 30, 2018 9:13 pm

Sure! But sorry, that's too late for me (GMT+1) - maybe during the weekend!? ;)

Boomer

Certifications

Flight Activity

Post by Boomer » Tue Oct 30, 2018 10:11 pm

Use notepad or similar to open your "falcon bms.cfg" file (located in ..\Falcon BMS 4.33 U1\User\Config), for this setting:

Code: Select all

set g_nAnisotropicValue
//Valid values: 0 = max available (default), 2, 4, 8, 16
Start with 2, and test with each valid value listed in the comment.

You'll also probably want to change the NVidia control panel setting for 'Anisotropic' back to 'application-controlled'.
Win7 x64 | Ryzen5 1600@3.2G | 16G DDR4@3200 | 3x24+1 YAME@GTX 1060 6GB
TM Cougar FCC-3 / MFD / Elite Rudder | TUSBA R1 | TIR3 + UTC Mk II | AST-2B-4

Derk
176th C/O

Certifications

Flight Activity

Post by Derk » Wed Oct 31, 2018 12:29 pm

I had shimmering graphics initially in 4.33 with a GTX 760 card. Seems a common problem due to more tasking graphics. This can change from flight to flight in the same TE depending on scenery, lighting (sun location) or objects being rendered. Mine was mostly weird on the ground. I must have changed dozens of setting until I found the best combination.

My general graphics troubleshooting technique is to turn everything to low settings. Test. Increase one setting at a time and test. If one setting is ON in the Nvidea control panel, turn it off in BMS. I prefer to let BMS control most thing. In some cases you may give up in o e area to gain in another.

For faster graphics, i still run low settings in BMS for HDR Bloom and HDR Blur. BMS default is up over half on the slider. Mine is maybe 20% of slider. Keeps things smooth in close formations. I also turn trees and grass slider down. Those are nice for realism, but only visible for maybe 10 minutes per flight. Canopy Cues are off. Reflection may look good in videos, but limits visibility and performance.

I will be on TS tonight around 8 eastern and can hop on a bit early. PM me if so.
Good luck.

Moosedog

Flight Activity

Found the cure !

Post by Moosedog » Sat Nov 10, 2018 11:12 pm

Solved the shimmering effects and unreadable MFD’s.
After all The graphic card settings changes and hunting through lines of code etc. etc.
the Cockpit Display Extraction —select Main screen — and turn OFF boarders.

COMPLETELY SOLVED ISSUE !!!

That simple fix cost me a new LG ultra wide and NVIDIA RTX 2070.
But I like the new stuff anyway.

Thanks for all the help and concern anyway guys.

Moosedog

Derk
176th C/O

Certifications

Flight Activity

Post by Derk » Sun Nov 11, 2018 1:00 am

Excellent! Crazy how sometimes its one little setting. Consider it a good excuse for the upgrade. lol