HOTAS Cougar and F4BMS4.35.2

Discussions on supporting software, helpful tools, and other software aids related to BMS life.
Elf

Flight Activity

Mission Participation

HOTAS Cougar and F4BMS4.35.2

Post by Elf » Sun Aug 01, 2021 1:10 pm

Hi guys,

Finally got my parts, looks like everything is working,
Trying to figure out how to "program" the HOTAS unde F4BMS4.35.2 since the old "key" file doesn't work well,
I cancelled the "emulation" and went into the sim with "BMS full" key file - don't see trigger detents working nor UHF and VHF PTT.....
Wonder if I am doing everything ok......
Would appreciate if someone is up for some support later this evening,
THX
Regards,

Elf
—————————————————————
“The One You Can’t See Is Going To Shoot You Down”

Venom

Flight Activity

Certifications

Mission Participation

Re: HOTAS Cougar and F4BMS4.35.2

Post by Venom » Sun Aug 01, 2021 3:08 pm

Yay! Glad the new HOTAS Cougar parts came in and are working!

I'm not familiar with the Cougar programming, but hopefully someone can help and you can get flying again soon!

Zeus
222nd C/O

Flight Activity

Certifications

Mission Participation

Post by Zeus » Sun Aug 01, 2021 5:00 pm

Hi Elf,
Can you clarify something - are you trying to use the Cougar TARGET software or just plain DX? While nothing much has changed in 4.35 regarding the key files (some new callbacks and retired some old), its quite possible your device ID and therefore button numbers have changed.

At a minimum, when you go into BMS and go to the Setup / Controllers page, you should be able to set your Cougar to the primary controller and then verify that the throttle and joystick axis are working as you would expect. If not, that's the first place to be diagnostics. Maybe back out of BMS and just look to see if Windows is even registering the device.

You should also be able to see the S1 - S8 buttons light up when pressing the primary buttons on the stick.
AOO.jpg
AOO.jpg (30.95 KiB) Viewed 2043 times
Lastly, when you press a button on any USB device (HOTAS, or anything else), you should see a button number displayed under the keyfile grid section between the Advanced and Cancel buttons on the UI. It should say INPUT Button X where X will be a number that corresponds to the BMS key file mapping line (minus 1 as the key files use 0-31 instead of 1-32). For example, UHF PPT for me is Button 21.
debrief.png
debrief.png (15.9 KiB) Viewed 2043 times
If none of the above are happening for you then you need to take a step back at look at what Windows sees. If you don't see it there then BMS isn't going to see it either.
Win 11 Pro 64 bit | i9-12900 @ 5.6GHz | Noctua CPU cooler |Trident Z Series 32 GB 5600 DDR5 ram |
NVidia 1080 gtx| 1x49" Curved plus 1x22" for gauge extractions | Cougar w/ FSSB| Cougar MFDs | Saitek rudders | Home Cockpit

Elf

Flight Activity

Mission Participation

Post by Elf » Sun Aug 01, 2021 5:37 pm

Ok, Went back and forgot to change the cougar as the first line in the controller sorting file.....now it is all ok.....
Well, definitely need a quick refresher....
BTW, any changes in the config or avionics configurator ?
Regards,

Elf
—————————————————————
“The One You Can’t See Is Going To Shoot You Down”