Looking for USB screens for my Mfd’s

Discussions on supporting software, helpful tools, and other software aids related to BMS life.
Birddog

Flight Activity

Certifications

Looking for USB screens for my Mfd’s

Post by Birddog » Tue Jul 21, 2020 12:00 pm

I am currently looking for any suggestions on screens for my MFD’s. I have heard that they need to be 4:3 in years past but I’m not sure if that’s still the case.

Any suggestion would be greatly appreciated.

Hyena

Re: Looking for USB screens for my Mfd’s

Post by Hyena » Tue Jul 21, 2020 1:43 pm

Have you considered just using a regular 22/24'' monitor and applying Thrustmaster MFDs (after having removed the bases) directly on it in the area where the MFDs should be in the cockpit? I have not done it yet, but that is the solution I am considering. I know, I know ... I am cheap :mrgreen:

MailMan

Post by MailMan » Tue Jul 21, 2020 2:30 pm

Yes, 4:3 , 8 inch, is what you want, if you are going that route. Some people use 7 inch, but I found they will be a little short on one side.
Frameless monitors are the best option, usually a little more costly, but usually better quality and life expectancy. Some people have had issues keeping USB Monitors working. You may want to consider VGA connections. Are you networking?

Hyena

Post by Hyena » Tue Jul 21, 2020 3:25 pm

No, right now I just have a 24'' monitor on top, for the 3D world and general cockpit management, and a 22'' at the bottom to extract the various screens. Both monitors are connected to the PC via HDMI cables. I have the Thrustmaster MFDs to the side of the bottom monitor (no time to invest in getting a better solution right now) ... you should see my bottom of the line hotas ... :mrgreen:

Birddog

Flight Activity

Certifications

Post by Birddog » Tue Jul 21, 2020 5:52 pm

MailMan wrote:
Tue Jul 21, 2020 2:30 pm
Yes, 4:3 , 8 inch, is what you want, if you are going that route. Some people use 7 inch, but I found they will be a little short on one side.
Frameless monitors are the best option, usually a little more costly, but usually better quality and life expectancy. Some people have had issues keeping USB Monitors working. You may want to consider VGA connections. Are you networking?
Currently running a 3 screen set up. So I’m running out of VGA spots.

Also I am not sure what you mean by networking

Zeus
222nd C/O

Flight Activity

Certifications

Mission Participation

Post by Zeus » Tue Jul 21, 2020 11:46 pm

Birddog wrote:
Tue Jul 21, 2020 5:52 pm
Also I am not sure what you mean by networking
So I believe what Mailman and others are referring to is the practice of using a separate PC to drive extractions / gauges / other pit effect and having that PC connected to your gaming PC via network and running some client/server software combination(s). It definitely opens up some possibilities but also adds a layer of complexity.

I tend to lean to the simple route and like Hyena I run a single PC with multiple monitors and use one of them for all my extracted gauges/MFDs along with the Thrustmaster MFDs overlaid in the corners...it works great. My current setup uses 4 monitors; 3 up top for the 3D world configured using nVidia's spanning technology into a single virtual monitor (5760x1080) and the 4th monitor centered below. So from Windows / BMS perspective I have two screens...it just takes 4 HDMI/DP cables to run them and all off a single video card.

I have thought about getting additional screens or splitting my single 22" extraction monitor into two smaller "MFD plus Aux panel" screens but that would mean going USB - or - swapping out my 3 screen config for a single ultrawide monitor (maybe dropping down to a native 3840x1080 curved monitor) thus freeing up ports on the video card and removing the software virtualization.

Ideally, what I would like to do is go with a single ultrawide 3D monitor, two MFD/Aux panel monitors and then maybe top it off with a center console monitor for more gauge extraction. But that might be overkill. :)
Win 11 Pro 64 bit | i9-12900 @ 5.6GHz | Noctua CPU cooler |Trident Z Series 32 GB 5600 DDR5 ram |
NVidia 1080 gtx| 1x49" Curved plus 1x22" for gauge extractions | Cougar w/ FSSB| Cougar MFDs | Saitek rudders | Home Cockpit

Twister

Flight Activity

Certifications

Post by Twister » Wed Jul 22, 2020 12:58 am

If you have the space on the mobo you can run two video cards which is what I do and I run 4 monitors with room for a couple more outputs if I need them later. I just got word that Badger has his panels in the mail and headed my direction. I feel a project coming on. :D

MailMan

Post by MailMan » Wed Jul 22, 2020 3:49 am

Yes, networking is running a separate PC for your MFD's, RWR, etc. monitors. What this does is allows your main PC to run the simulator with no restrictions and uses the resources from the second PC for extracted displays. Whether you are doing it on one PC or two, you are still extracting the images. It can effect performance and frame rates on some computers. If you have a nice powerful computer, it probably won't matter which way you do it.

Badger

Flight Activity

Post by Badger » Wed Jul 22, 2020 1:53 pm

I used to do the network thing, it was not that difficult to set up and the performance was better, back in the day.
A couple of years back though, I plugged a second GTX into my main PC and have not regretted it.
I run 6 screens; Main, secondary for extracted gauges, LMFD, RMFD, CPD & RWR.
I'd like to run the triple main, like Zeus but, don't think I'll ever get there.

Obviously, you have options.

Badger

Flight Activity

Post by Badger » Fri Jul 24, 2020 4:07 pm

Just came across this

https://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=you ... 7aUKxidvMk

Very interesting

Zeus
222nd C/O

Flight Activity

Certifications

Mission Participation

Post by Zeus » Sat Jul 25, 2020 12:22 am

Badger wrote:
Fri Jul 24, 2020 4:07 pm
Just came across this

https://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=you ... 7aUKxidvMk

Very interesting
Okay, that's it...I found my next purchase...that is so cool!
Win 11 Pro 64 bit | i9-12900 @ 5.6GHz | Noctua CPU cooler |Trident Z Series 32 GB 5600 DDR5 ram |
NVidia 1080 gtx| 1x49" Curved plus 1x22" for gauge extractions | Cougar w/ FSSB| Cougar MFDs | Saitek rudders | Home Cockpit

Hyena

Post by Hyena » Sat Jul 25, 2020 8:27 pm

They look great ... but I must admit that I have grown fond of my oversized "F-35-type" MFDs, even if the Thrustmaster MFDs are not yet superimposed ... really easy on the old and tired eyes
:mrgreen:

MailMan

Post by MailMan » Sun Jul 26, 2020 2:45 pm

Badger wrote:
Wed Jul 22, 2020 1:53 pm
I used to do the network thing, it was not that difficult to set up and the performance was better, back in the day.
A couple of years back though, I plugged a second GTX into my main PC and have not regretted it.
I'd like to run the triple main, like Zeus but, don't think I'll ever get there.

Which GTX are you running for the MFD's?

Thumper

Flight Activity

Mission Participation

Post by Thumper » Sun Jul 26, 2020 3:13 pm

So I run three screens. I put my instruments/MFDs on the right screen. Here is my question:
I couldn't get MFD extractor to work after 4.32 (maybe? Some update anyway)
So now I use the Falcon extractor, but would love to have the old extractor. I had a hard time finding the software, but it seemed I found I had the latest version a while back. Did anyone have this issue and get it resolved? (I seem to be getting less and less tech savvy as I get old!)

Badger

Flight Activity

Post by Badger » Sun Jul 26, 2020 9:40 pm

MailMan wrote:
Sun Jul 26, 2020 2:45 pm
Badger wrote:
Wed Jul 22, 2020 1:53 pm

Which GTX are you running for the MFD's?
GTX1070Ti

Birddog

Flight Activity

Certifications

Post by Birddog » Mon Jul 27, 2020 2:05 pm

Just reached out to the gentlemen at Cubesim and he was very helpful

Each screen is $120 + $50 shipping to the US. He also has a bracket he sells to mount the MFD’s seen here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4TCLPFt ... ture=share
Brackets with all appropriate hardware are $90 US.

He was very fast to reach out to me via Facebook messenger and very helpful. Thinking I might pull the trigger very soon.
I will keep you guys updated

Zeus
222nd C/O

Flight Activity

Certifications

Mission Participation

Post by Zeus » Tue Jul 28, 2020 10:36 pm

Birddog wrote:
Mon Jul 27, 2020 2:05 pm
Just reached out to the gentlemen at Cubesim and he was very helpful

Each screen is $120 + $50 shipping to the US. He also has a bracket he sells to mount the MFD’s seen here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4TCLPFt ... ture=share
Brackets with all appropriate hardware are $90 US.

He was very fast to reach out to me via Facebook messenger and very helpful. Thinking I might pull the trigger very soon.
I will keep you guys updated
That's an impressive modular system he has come up with - very cool. Not for me but still very cool. I am however 100% sold on the screens...wondering if he would be open to some bulk orders...might help with shipping.

I suppose this means I'm going to have to get on Facebook. :evil:

DOC

Flight Activity

Post by DOC » Sun Aug 02, 2020 3:17 am

I actually use a pair of those desk clamp/modular "thingys" for my hotas from cubesim and I don't know how I ever flew a sim without SOMETHING that put things in an ergonomically acceptable position, not to mention the emersion factor. Its great, I can hook the hotas up to the desk when its time to fly, and take it down when im studying and stuff... perfection.

Mulligan

Flight Activity

Certifications

Mission Participation

Post by Mulligan » Mon Feb 08, 2021 4:28 am

So has anyone purchased the cubesim monitors and what are your thoughts?

STAC

Flight Activity

Certifications

Post by STAC » Mon Feb 08, 2021 11:58 pm

I have not but definitely my next purchase. Planning on picking them up in the coming months.

A friend of mine uses them in DCS and they are phenomenal.

Stac

Mulligan

Flight Activity

Certifications

Mission Participation

Post by Mulligan » Tue Feb 09, 2021 12:21 am

That's good to hear. Best get mine bought. Thanks