2-D Main Screen too small in windowed mode.

Discussions on supporting software, helpful tools, and other software aids related to BMS life.
MailMan

2-D Main Screen too small in windowed mode.

Post by MailMan » Thu Jan 20, 2022 7:10 pm

I had this issue before and fixed it. I know someone here told me how to fix it. When I have the 2-D Window set to windowed mode, it is way too small. I cannot read anything without a magnifying glass. I can use full screen but would prefer to use windowed so I can access other stuff.

Ghastly

Flight Activity

Certifications

Mission Participation

Re: 2-D Main Screen too small in windowed mode.

Post by Ghastly » Thu Jan 20, 2022 9:11 pm

Check your windows scaling settings in the display options. Make sure the BMS shortcut's compatibility tab doesn't override it.

Alternatively, invest in a monoscope for immersive zoom!

Derk
176th C/O

Flight Activity

Certifications

Mission Participation

Post by Derk » Fri Jan 21, 2022 4:29 am

OK Ghastly. Ya got me on that one. Had to Google 'monoscope'. LOL!
Good thought to check scaling. Changed on him when he changed windows mode in BMS UI. Maybe something hung in a video config file? Thought there used to be one in the CONFIG folder you could delete and have it reset on BMS startup. Not seeing it now.

MailMan

Post by MailMan » Sat Jan 22, 2022 9:22 pm

Still haven't figured this one out. Whenever I fix something, I need to write it down, so if it happens again, I can fix it :roll:

Zeus
222nd C/O

Flight Activity

Certifications

Mission Participation

Post by Zeus » Sat Jan 22, 2022 9:41 pm

I don't think you can fix this. The 2D window runs at a fixed resolution so going to a hi-res monitor will only make it smaller. I've heard of guys messing with windows zoom settings but then that throws off all kinds of other stuff.
Win 11 Pro 64 bit | i9-12900 @ 5.6GHz | Noctua CPU cooler |Trident Z Series 32 GB 5600 DDR5 ram |
NVidia 1080 gtx| 1x49" Curved plus 1x22" for gauge extractions | Cougar w/ FSSB| Cougar MFDs | Saitek rudders | Home Cockpit

Wheelchock

Flight Activity

Post by Wheelchock » Wed Jan 26, 2022 8:47 pm

MailMan what is your screen resolution? I at one point was running BMS at 4k on a 46" monitor and I had the same issue. What I did to get around it while in 2D was that I used the keyboard command ALT+ENTER to switch to fullscreen mode. If you need to switch back to the smaller windowed mode just press ALT+ENTER again. It's a quick and easy way to switch back and forth.
AMD Ryzen 5 5600x | AMD Radeon RX 6600 XT | 32Gb 2 x Corsair Ballistix 3200 | Corsair H60 AIO | Main screen: 1 x 43" Samsung HDTV | Touch Screen: 1 x 22" Planar monitor

Ghastly

Flight Activity

Certifications

Mission Participation

Post by Ghastly » Thu Jan 27, 2022 12:05 am

Wheelchock wrote:
Wed Jan 26, 2022 8:47 pm
MailMan what is your screen resolution? I at one point was running BMS at 4k on a 46" monitor and I had the same issue. What I did to get around it while in 2D was that I used the keyboard command ALT+ENTER to switch to fullscreen mode. If you need to switch back to the smaller windowed mode just press ALT+ENTER again. It's a quick and easy way to switch back and forth.
Are you able to consistently do that without crashing to desktop? If I'm in pit it's hit or miss. For instance, I can do it successfully on the Navigation Training TE 3 out of 4 times but on the Benchmark TE, it will crash everytime.

I verified myself that scaling increases both 2D and 3D in windowed and borderless. You could set desktop scaling to 200% for a bigger 2D screen, but then you'd also have to set render resolution to 1/4 of your native resolution to prevent 3D from overflowing your viewable area (ie set 1080P in BMS for a 4K display).

MailMan

Post by MailMan » Thu Jan 27, 2022 4:24 pm

I tried that alt enter thing, it works, but the problem is the 2-D window was still too small. But, I just fixed it. For some reason my windows screen resolution kept diverting to a 4K resolution 3840/2160, and that is what kept showing up in BMS. I was using NVIDIA Control Center to set it 1080p 1920/1080, but the windows display properties weren't matching it. I set it up using windows display and set my scaling to my liking, and glory be, it is all good now. BMS is in borderless and takes up a little over a quarter of my screen in the upper left area, and I can read it. Now I am gonna reboot and see if it stays that way :)
Last edited by MailMan on Thu Jan 27, 2022 8:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Wheelchock

Flight Activity

Post by Wheelchock » Thu Jan 27, 2022 5:41 pm

Are you able to consistently do that without crashing to desktop? If I'm in pit it's hit or miss. For instance, I can do it successfully on the Navigation Training TE 3 out of 4 times but on the Benchmark TE, it will crash everytime.

I verified myself that scaling increases both 2D and 3D in windowed and borderless. You could set desktop scaling to 200% for a bigger 2D screen, but then you'd also have to set render resolution to 1/4 of your native resolution to prevent 3D from overflowing your viewable area (ie set 1080P in BMS for a 4K display).
I have never crashed to desktop doing that, I only do it in 2D.
AMD Ryzen 5 5600x | AMD Radeon RX 6600 XT | 32Gb 2 x Corsair Ballistix 3200 | Corsair H60 AIO | Main screen: 1 x 43" Samsung HDTV | Touch Screen: 1 x 22" Planar monitor