OpenTrack Questions

Discussions on supporting software, helpful tools, and other software aids related to BMS life.
Wheaties

OpenTrack Questions

Post by Wheaties » Tue Aug 30, 2022 8:05 pm

Has anyone had success using OpenTrack for head tracking? I've been trying to tune it but it's been pretty inconsistent - it picks up extremely small head movements even with a high deadzone and high smoothing.

The output for these head movements are so exaggerated that while flying I've found I'm putting more effort in keeping my head very still than anything else. It makes doing anything heads down about impossible. Anything I could be missing?

Buttons

Flight Activity

Re: OpenTrack Questions

Post by Buttons » Tue Aug 30, 2022 8:10 pm

I can't answer the question directly, I use TrackIR.
Win 7 Pro 64 bit | i7-960 @ 3.20 | 16 GB 1066 mhz DDR3 ram |NVidia 1060 gtx | VKB Gunfighter 3/MCG Pro |X56 Throttle | Cougar MFDs over top Raspberry PI 640x480 LCD's

Zeus
222nd C/O

Flight Activity

Certifications

Mission Participation

Post by Zeus » Wed Aug 31, 2022 12:55 am

Sounds like a calibration / setting issue. I also use TrackIR not OpenTrack so it might not be a perfect comparison, but I would suggest a small dead zone and a very shallow shaping/mapping so that it ramps up very slowly until you really crack your head around.
Win 11 Pro 64 bit | i9-12900 @ 5.6GHz | Noctua CPU cooler |Trident Z Series 32 GB 5600 DDR5 ram |
NVidia 1080 gtx| 1x49" Curved plus 1x22" for gauge extractions | Cougar w/ FSSB| Cougar MFDs | Saitek rudders | Home Cockpit

Costa

Flight Activity

Post by Costa » Fri Sep 02, 2022 3:15 am

Hi Wheaties!

I believe you know that, but you can adjust how much head movements translates into in-game movements. On the mapping button on software you set it. I have it here as:

Yaw:
max input: 60

Pitch:
max input: 25
max output: 90

It can also be caused by what you are "feeding" your opentrack with... On my end here, I use an iphone app that uses face recognition to send my headtracking information to opentrack, no other devices are needed. It works fine for me, but the app is not free, has subscription of $2/month.

Hope it helps!

Costa

Lethal

Flight Activity

Post by Lethal » Fri Sep 02, 2022 1:00 pm

As Costa mentioned, having some more info on what kind of input Open Track is receiving would be helpful. Are you using an IR LED device?

I use Open Track and have not experienced the issues you describe, but would be happy to try and help solve the problem.

Edit to Add: Have you checked you max input settings for Yaw, pitch , roll, X, Y, & Z? Mine are set at 45*, 25* input/180* output, 60*, 10cm, 15cm, and 30cm respectively. If your max input is too low, I think it can cause sensitivity issues.

Wheaties

Post by Wheaties » Sun Sep 04, 2022 2:29 am

Thanks for the help everyone. I'm currently using a webcam connected by a USB and aitrack as input. I upped the processing smoothness to "heavy" on the aitrack and that helped the jumpiness a lot, but now there is a noticeable delay in head movement. What input do you all use if you are using a webcam, UDP over network?

Lethal

Flight Activity

Post by Lethal » Sun Sep 04, 2022 5:48 pm

I use PointTracker 1.1 as my input and freetrack 2.0 enhanced as my output with an Accela filter. Are you using an IR LED head device (delcanclip, grassmonkey IR puck, etc.)? Aruco print out? Other?

Did you confirm you max inputs are correct, as I previously suggested?

Costa

Flight Activity

Post by Costa » Mon Sep 05, 2022 4:38 am

Hi Wheaties, I tríed the same solution as you with AItrack and had the exact same problem, couldn’t solve it, then I jumped to beam app I described on my last post. The issue for sure is not opentrack, but AItrack seems to have a small lag…

As lethal said, you could try an IR Led device, it should work.

Wheaties

Post by Wheaties » Mon Sep 05, 2022 2:00 pm

Thanks! Max angle's are configured properly. So it sounds like the face tracking is the culprit?

Lethal

Flight Activity

Post by Lethal » Mon Sep 05, 2022 5:43 pm

That would be my guess. I had tried a no-IR face tracking app before and it worked ok, but definitely lacked the smoothness you get from an IR head tracking device like TrackIR, delanclip, grassmonkey pucks, etc